Switching to whole grain foods is a simple approach to assist weight loss desires. Pasta dishes that comprise lean protein and vegetables offer a well-balanced meal. This recipe is so easy to make, tastes great and is a big hit at dinner time. It uses simple ingredients that you always have on hand and you can replace the penne with any pasta you want. The dish will entice all the senses while giving a fulfilling, one-pot meal.
In this recipe, whole heads of garlic are roasted and used for the base of the pasta’s sauce, adding staggering flavor. Penne noodles are tossed with a hearty punch of tender, crisp vegetables and bathed in a white wine, herb-scented sauce. The result is one aromatic, filling, cheesy, satisfying meal!
Roasted Garlic Chicken Penne Pasta Recipe
- 2 heads whole garlic
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ lb. whole grain penne pasta, uncooked
- 2 lb. skinless chicken breasts cut into ½ -inch chunks
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 2 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1tsp lemon zest
- 1tbs lemon juice
- ¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 4 tbsp butter or margarine
- 4 oz. Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Preheat oven to 375. Trim the top off of each head of garlic to expose the tops of cloves. Place on a sheet of aluminum foil and drizzle with 2 tbsp of olive oil over the tops of the bulbs. Loosely wrap the aluminum foil around the garlic, pinching the seams to seal.
- Set the foil package in a baking dish, and roast for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the cloves are tender and start to turn golden brown. Allow cooling. Once they have cooled, squeeze the cloves from the heads of the bulbs. Reserve in a small mixing bowl.
- While the garlic is roasting, fill the large stock pot with 8 cups of water, and add 4tbsp of salt. Next, bring the water to a boil, and add the penne. Cook the penne for 10 to 12 minutes, and reserve ¼ cup of the water when finished. Strain the cooked penne in a colander, rinse under cold water, and set aside.
- Next drizzle the chicken breast with remaining olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, cover loosely with aluminum foil, and roast for about 30 minutes until cooked through. Allow the chicken to rest, covered with aluminum foil, until you’re ready to serve, and then cut into slices. (Roasting in the same oven as the garlic slightly infuses some of the garlic flavors into the chicken, mmm!)
- Add the onions, red bell pepper, and broccoli florets to the pan, cooking for 2 minutes. Next, add the chicken broth, cover the pan, and steam the vegetables for an additional 2 minutes. When finished, transfer the vegetables to the plate with the chicken.
- Add the reserved roasted garlic, lemon zest and juice, chili flakes, thyme, reserved pasta water, and white wine in the pan. Whisk the ingredients until smooth and cook for 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Once the sauce has reduced, add the reserved vegetables and chicken to the pan. Toss in the reserved penne, and use the pair of tongs to thoroughly toss all of the pot’s ingredients.
- Add the margarine to the skillet pan, and toss to combine. Season the pan with salt and pepper to taste, and dish the pasta into large bowls immediately.
- Divide the contents of the pan into eight shallow bowls. Top each with a touch of shredded Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Pair the meal with crisp greens dressed in a light vinaigrette to complete the dish. Both dry chardonnay blends and tannin-rich Syrah red wines combine harmoniously with this garlic chicken pasta recipe.
Prep Time: 1 hr. and 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Ready In: 2 hours
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Ready In: 2 hours
- Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
- Calories 452
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 74.7 mg
- Sodium 199.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 1 g
- Protein 21.2 g
(Visited 142 times, 1 visits today)