Lentils are one of the unsung heroes of the weight loss world. Inexpensive and versatile, lentils are rich in protein and fiber but low in fat and calories. While lentils do have quite a bit of flavor on their own, however, they absorb other flavors well, and they are also packed with proteins and other needed nutrients, making them a healthy alternative to meat for vegetarians and vegans. This makes for tasty dishes and helps the eater feel full with less food, which is ideal for those wishing to lose weight.
Whether you are trying to follow the 5:2 diet or following a more conventional low-calorie diet, soups are a wonderful thing and this low-fat lentil soup is a healthy, fiber-rich, and full-body tasting comfort food. It’s also a great low-calorie appetizer, which fills you up with the meal so that you do not binge on other high-calorie foods. This recipe for Low-Fat Lentil Soup is low in calorie and high in quality and taste.
Low-Fat, Low-Calorie Lentils Soup Recipe
- 1cup dry green lentils
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 10 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ red Chilli (De-seeded – or dried chili flakes to taste)
Read More: Best Homemade Healthy Toasted Muesli Cereal
- Put the oil in a large heavy bottomed pan on a medium heat and soften the onion, for 1 minute. Add the garlic and fry again for 1 minute.
- Add the lentils and coat them with the oil, onion and garlic mixture. This should take about 2 minutes. You have to move the lentils constantly to keep them burning.
- Add the tomato paste and cumin and mix the ingredients around until evenly distributed. You should still be keeping a close eye on the lentils and moving them constantly to avoid burning them.
- Pour the chicken stock into the saucepan. Bring the soup to the boil and then simmer for approximately 45 minutes until the soup has thickened a little and the lentils are soft and tender. Check and adjust seasoning, adding salt and peppers as required.
- Serve with 1 heaped teaspoon low-fat yogurt or a dollop creme fraiche, or if you prefer with a scattering of crunchy croutons.This lentil soup also goes great with some fresh bread and butter.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Ready In: one hour
One serving provides approximately:
- Calories: 230, Calories from Fat: 27
- Total Fat: 3.0g, 5% Saturated Fat: 0.7g, 3%
- Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%
- Sodium: 852mg, 36%
- Total Carbohydrates: 33.0g, 11%
- Dietary Fiber: 15.6g, 62%
- Sugars: 4.6g
- Protein: 18.7g
- Vitamin A 37%, Vitamin C 12%, Calcium 5%, Iron 28%
(Visited 140 times, 1 visits today)