This is a fantastic, tasty and diet tuna melt similar to what you would receive in a restaurant. This low-fat tuna melt panini is incredibly easy to prepare and full of flavor. Adding veggies to your tuna, replacing the full-fat cheese and mayonnaise with light mayo and cheese makes this classic sandwich lower in fat and Weight Watcher friendly. Enjoy this tuna melt without worrying about spoiling your weight loss efforts. It can have less than 5 grams of fat and 215 calories per serving depending on the type of cheese and bread that you choose to use.
Low-Calorie Tuna Melt Panini Recipe
- ½ cup drained canned tuna in water, flaked
- ¼ cup diced celery
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ tsp dill weed
- 1 tsp lemon juice or red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 dash freshly ground black pepper
- 1 dash celery salt
- 1 whole grain Panini bun/bread, halved
- 1 slice fat-free provolone, low-moisture part-skim mozzarella, low-fat sharp cheddar, veggie slices or low-fat Swiss cheese
- Drain water from tuna thoroughly. It needs to be as dry as possible to prevent extra moisture, which will make the bread soggy.
- Combine the tuna, mayonnaise, lemon juice, dill weed, celery, and onion in a medium bowl. Stir with a spoon to mix together well. Add celery salt and pepper.
- Place the slice of cheese down on one slice of bread and then spread the tuna mixture on top. Add the mustard on top of the tuna and press the other slice of bread firmly down.
- Preheat the grill or panini maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Spray the panini maker with nonstick cooking spray. Place the sandwich in it and press down.
- Grill panini 4 to 5 minutes, with the lid closed, until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted, or until golden brown.
Per serving: 215 calories; 5 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 3 g fiber; 905.7 mg sodium;.
- It is best enjoyed fresh because the bread can lose its crunch within a couple hours.
- If you chill the tuna mixture for a bit before you make the sandwich it thickens up the mixture and adds a cool crispiness to the sandwich.
- You can prepare the tuna salad mixture in advance and refrigerate it in a covered container for up to 3 days. This is a great way to save time.
(Visited 141 times, 1 visits today)